NEW HIPAA RULES

Enter your billing questions or comments here.
csicarthage

NEW HIPAA RULES

Post by csicarthage » Thu May 12, 2011 5:27 pm

I was online searching testing dates etc., Medicare, Medicaid and Emdeon and ran across a sentence about eventually not being able to use Emdeon as my clearing house if I use Medisoft. Is this true and what options do I have? Remember we are still using V.8. If this is true, when is the deadline? Thanks for your answer. :D

Gavin Walker

Re: NEW HIPAA RULES

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 am

I would only believe this if you heard it straight from Emdeon. You are probalby submitting a print image to Emdeon. Emdeon takes this print image and maps it to ANSI 4010 for you on the back end. Later, when ANSI 5010 is required, Emdeon will convert your print image over to ANSI 5010. So, unless Emdeon has informed you they can't do this anymore or if they are not doing a good job on the mapping, you can stay put. If you prefer to submit your claims in ANSI 5010 format and avoid the extra mappings, then you'll need to upgrade your Medisoft.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

dkennelly

Post by dkennelly » Fri May 13, 2011 8:58 am

I have the same concern. This was on the Emdeon website this morning.
"If you are a Medisoft customer, you should also be aware that the latest McKesson practice management systems are exclusively bundled with the RelayHealth clearinghouse service, which will prevent your continued use of Emdeon Office for claims submission. "

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Sat May 14, 2011 2:08 pm

dkennelly wrote:I have the same concern. This was on the Emdeon website this morning.
"If you are a Medisoft customer, you should also be aware that the latest McKesson practice management systems are exclusively bundled with the RelayHealth clearinghouse service, which will prevent your continued use of Emdeon Office for claims submission. "
This statement is incorrect. You should work with a Medisoft reseller that can help you configure Medisoft to work with Emdeon. The same software that is bundled for RelayHealth will work with Emdeon. In addition print image claims has always been available. If you call McKesson directly for support, they will not help you with Emdeon issues.

csicarthage

Post by csicarthage » Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 pm

OK. Do we start now, or will you tell us when the situation is solved.
Thanks

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu May 19, 2011 8:03 am

Hi CSI Carthage, do you want to submit ANSI 5010 claims through Emdeon? Medisoft v17 is ready to do that. We do not have any options to do that with Medisoft v8.

dkennelly

Post by dkennelly » Thu May 19, 2011 8:41 am

What are the pros and cons, if any, to submitting ANSI 5010 claims versus submitting HCFA print image claims? Will future versions of Medisoft continue to have the print image option? When the ICD-10 regulations go into effect, is this going to affect how the claims can be submitted to a clearinghouse? One last question! According to your previous answer, even though Medisoft is bundled with RelayHealth, if ANSI 5010 submission is required, and/or desired, your company can configure Medisoft (V17 or higher I'm assuming) to allow us to continue to use Emdeon, is this correct?
Thanks!

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu May 19, 2011 3:34 pm

dkennelly wrote:What are the pros and cons, if any, to submitting ANSI 5010 claims versus submitting HCFA print image claims? Will future versions of Medisoft continue to have the print image option? When the ICD-10 regulations go into effect, is this going to affect how the claims can be submitted to a clearinghouse? One last question! According to your previous answer, even though Medisoft is bundled with RelayHealth, if ANSI 5010 submission is required, and/or desired, your company can configure Medisoft (V17 or higher I'm assuming) to allow us to continue to use Emdeon, is this correct?
Thanks!
When I went to Emdeon's website, I saw they are marketing their own practice management system. So, any confusion on their website can generate calls and possible sales of their PMS.

The con of print-image mapping has always been mapping. Any update to Medisoft or any changes to the report template can change the alignment of the print-image and throw off the mapping in the whole file. In addition, if you start sending new information on the claims at a later date, that new information may not have been mapped properly (something has to be printed in a field to make sure the field is mapped). Your clearinghouse has to make adjustments for all of this. The con of ANSI format files is they are more complex. There are many more fields in the electronic file than exist on the paper form. Many billers get confused because the paper form looks correct, why aren't the claims going electronically?

Yes, we can configure Medisoft v17 to submit ANSI 5010 claim files to just about anywhere. In fact, we haven't found anywhere we can't do yet.