Error 6420 The discovery process for the advantage database

Technical problems with Medisoft.
scotsmen

Error 6420 The discovery process for the advantage database

Post by scotsmen » Mon May 16, 2011 11:24 am

OK, I've gone through and looked at several discussions on the error 6420 and can't seem to find a solution for why I'm getting it. The Advantage database server 9.0 is running on a Windows XP Professional workstation.

This client of mine was running a single user instance of Medisoft Office Hours and we are attempting to upgrade it to a multiuser version. This upgrade was from version 14 to 16. I uninstalled the software like the instructions said before doing the upgrade. I then installed the Advantage Database Server and Medisoft Office Hours Professional v16. On the original workstation it's running fine.

The workstations are in a workgroup. I created the same User ID and password on both workstations and can attach to the Medidata directory without any problems from the second workstation and have full read/write privileges on it. When I try and open Medisoft on the second computer the practice name comes up with an asterisk in front of the name. When I click on the practice and try and continue to open the program is when I get the 6420 error as well as tbl view "cannot perform this operation on a closed dataset". Looking at the Advantage Database configuration utility on the first workstation/server it says that 2 clients are attached. I've verified that there are no firewalls between either computers.

I've tried installing Medisoft Office Hours Pro on a second workstation that is running Windows 7 and attaching to the server and get the same error. Also, have tried not using the wireless network and using a crossover cable to connect directly to the server. I tried installing the Advantage Database server on the second workstation and it said it couldn't because another computer is already running the database software.

But I'm sorta at a loss at what to do next. It doesn't seem it should be this difficult.

Gavin Walker

Re: Error 6420 The discovery process for the advantage datab

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon May 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Did you create a Share on the data host computer and give Everyone Read/Write access? On the Medisoft DVD there is a file called \Documentation\MedisoftClientServInstallation.pdf that explains briefly the installation steps.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

scotsmen

Post by scotsmen » Mon May 16, 2011 12:14 pm

I haven't seen that specific document but I will take a look at it. I'm fairly certain though that I went through and assigned the group 'everyone' full access to the Medisoft directory and all subdirectories.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon May 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Not only the directory, but also the Share. There is a difference.

scotsmen

Post by scotsmen » Wed May 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Well it's not like 2003 or 2008 server. The database is running on a Windows XP machine. So there aren't permissions to set for the share, it's create a share and allow other users or groups to change my files.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu May 19, 2011 7:56 am

Start up Windows Explorer then go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab then uncheck use Simple File Sharing. Then you'll be able to grant everyone permissions to the folder.

scotsmen

Post by scotsmen » Wed May 25, 2011 6:51 am

For some reason when I first turned it on it wasn't there. Might have required a reboot but in any case it's there now. So I have the security and share settings both set to the group everyone with full control and I'm still getting the 6420 error though.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 am

9 times out of 10, the issue is with firewall even when I am told firewall was checked and confirmed not to be running. So...double check firewall is stopped on both computers before proceeding.

Here is a knowledgebase article that can address some of the more rare instances of 6420 errors:
LINK REMOVED

The old Medisoft knowledgebase is completely gone now, so I removed the link.