Problem with RM in V17 and 997s

Technical problems with Medisoft.
mbpros

Problem with RM in V17 and 997s

Post by mbpros » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:40 am

I just upgraded to V17 SP1 and have found a flaw with the new security built in to RM. In particular, you can't open/switch practices, even if you have the right to do so in Medisoft. This is a problem in particular when posting 997s.

As a billing service, we can download hundreds of 997s from a clearinghouse or various payers. In RM in V16 and in CM4, you could place all of these 997s in the Common Report Folder (Downloads folder in RMData), click on the 997 report in RM and you would be prompted for the login and password for that practice, then the report would open and then post in RM. But in V17, you can't do that. Apparently you can't use the Common Report Folder, but have to place each report in the respective downloads folder for that practice's RM Data...then go into the practice and run RM Reports.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM...When you download 997s from the clearinghouse (or payer) you have no idea which practice the 997 is for.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I know you have a billing service also so how do you handle this now...or are you sending via RelayHealth?

Steve
Steven Zats
Medical Billing Professionals

Gavin Walker

Re: Problem with RM in V17 and 997s

Post by Gavin Walker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:42 am

Steve, we use GatewayEDI. The reporting on their website is so good, we don't even need to download 997s. In addition, we don't use a common report folder, but use a separate folder for each practice.

Back to your issue, in Revenue Management -> Preferences -> Revenue Management tab, do you have a unique Claim Prefix for each practice? You'll need to assign a three letter or digit prefix for each practice.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

mbpros

Post by mbpros » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks, Gavin. I always thought it would be a good idea to have the 997s for the history in CM, but I agree with what you say about a clearinghouse and good reporting. I think I am actually going to just switch to Office Ally, which I have used somewhat...as they also have excellent reporting. Thanks for the guidance. BUT as for the 3 letter alpha prefix I know it's there so you can have it go on claims, but it won't help if the 997s are all downloaded into the Common Report Folder since you can no longer switch practices. Frankly if you can't switch practices any longer in RM, they should get rid of the option for Common Report Folder and the option to Change Practice.

Steve
Steven Zats

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 pm

The issue with switching practices is a bug that we hope McKesson will fix. The claim prefix is designed to be used in conjunction with the common report folder. When claims go out with the prefix, the reports will also come back with the same prefix. This will help Revenue Management know which practice the report belongs to.

mbpros

Post by mbpros » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:00 pm

I never used the prefix before...and never had a problem with switching practices before or having RM or CM4 recognize the correct practice...until V17.

But not the worst problem in the world...just some setup work with the clearinghouse....Actually I found this to be the smoothest upgrade ever..and I've been using Medisoft since I think Version 6.

Steve
Steven Zats