Medisoft Messenger---Please Help!!!!

Technical problems with Medisoft.
gulu75

Medisoft Messenger---Please Help!!!!

Post by gulu75 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:12 pm

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate help from anyone much smarter than me!!! Here is the situation...moved offices...ended up renaming my old server to a new name (IT guy did it...don't ask me why) and changed IP add. Well, now everything is working BUT...some computers you can message out with messanger but when you try to SEND that computer a message it states that they are not logged on (even though they are)....PLEASE help...

We are a fun group of people that like each other but just don't want to talk to each other constantly!!!! The messenger has kept us together and now it is not working...

PS: Some computers can communicate with each other...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

gulu75

Gavin Walker

Re: Medisoft Messenger---Please Help!!!!

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:16 am

First, I assume you are using the correct machine name in Messenger. If you have new computers then they likely have new computer names that need to be used in Messenger. Here is a knowledge base article that explains how to find the machine name: LINK REMOVED.

Second, Messenger depends on the Messenger service in Windows. Due to abuse of this feature by Internet spam this service is no longer included with Windows Vista or higher and as a default it is disabled on Windows XP SP2 or higher. So check to make sure the messenger service starts automatically on Windows XP.

You can test that the messenger service is working by going to the command line and typing - NET SEND <machinename> "Message text".

Finally, Messenger doesn't even work at all with Medisoft v16. McKesson is supposed to be fixing this on Medisoft v17.

Given the limitations above, and the fact that the messaging system in Medisoft is not really all that great, we have been steering customers towards third party messaging systems like LAN Messenger. This systems costs about $11 per machine and messages stay local on your network so you don't have to worry so much about HIPAA violations. This is just one option, there are many. Take care though, some such has Pidgin have been known to interfere with newer versions of Medisoft.

The old Medisoft knowledgebase is completely gone now, so I removed the link.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

Jason York

Post by Jason York » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:14 am

A free messaging option that we have used in the past is Openfire. Openfire is a chat server that you pair it with the free chat client, Spark, to get a high quality instant messaging system that is only accessible on your network.

Both Openfire and Spark can be downloaded from http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/index.jsp. Openfire only needs to be installed on one system (this system will be the chat server), while Spark needs to be installed on any system that you want to be able to message from (including the chat server, if you wish to message from there).
Jason York
Support Manager
MedTech Medical Management Systems
www.medtechsys.net

gulu75

Post by gulu75 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:39 pm

GAVIN and JASON!!!! Thank you both very much for your inputs---myself and the office really really appreciate your responses... I will let you both know how it goes. Tried the trial of softros and love it but did not want to have to pay the high fees for it....will try the openfire....thanks again to both of you...Have a Merry Christmas---

Warm Regards,

gulu75

rstreetpt

Post by rstreetpt » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 pm

We have recently upgraded to v17 and have installed sp1... but messenger is not working, and it doesnt give any errors on message sending. I was able to use another messaging program as command line messaging.. does anyone know of a fix for this issue?