Having trouble restoring Medisoft v12 sp2 data

Technical problems with Medisoft.
backbones

Having trouble restoring Medisoft v12 sp2 data

Post by backbones » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:56 am

I am currently having a huge issue with MediSoft v12 SP2. When trying to restore data from 8.30.2010.mbk, I am getting an error "Please insert last data disk set". This is a huge problem as I need to get my updated info due to a flood that was encountered. However, we were able to save the hard drive and bought a new machine with Windows 7 64bit and installed Medisoft v12 SP2 there. The previous machine that it was on was Windows XP. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gavin Walker

Re: Having trouble restoring Medisoft v12 sp2 data

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 pm

A few thoughts come to mind.

1. Your backup is probably corrupt. I hope that is not the case, but that is probably the problem. Medisoft v12 .MBK files are really WinZip files. You can rename the extension to .ZIP and try some WinZip recovery tools to recover what you can out of the file. Hopefully you have other back ups to fall back on and you didn't loose too much data. (We offer an automated remote backup service for $12/month plus $0.40/GB.)

2. There is a chance that the backup was created with a password. If that is the case, enter the correct backup password when restoring the file. I believe though, you will get a different error if the password doesn't match.

3. Medisoft v12 does not work very well with a 64-bit operating system. You will get lots of errors trying to run Medisoft v12 on 64-bit operating systems. There is a chance that the restore function doesn't work on 64-bit O/S, so try installing Medisoft on a 32-bit O/S and see if you can restore your data. I have not tested v12 on 64-bit O/S very much except to confirm that there are problems. When you get this resolved you should either get a system with a 32-bit O/S or upgrade your Medisoft. We are currently selling a Medisoft Premium Workstation with 32-bit O/S for $640 and Medisoft upgrades will vary depending on the edition of Medisoft as well as how many users and what add-ons you have. Alternatively, you could upgrade to Windows 7 Pro and download and install XP Mode for free from Microsoft. You could then install Medisoft v12 in XP Mode which is a 32-bit O/S. For XP Mode we would recommend 4 GB of RAM and since you have a 64-bit O/S 6 GB or more of RAM would be better.

Keep us posted on how this works out.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

backbones

Post by backbones » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. What I will do is start with a fresh windows 7 and install XP mode. Then install medisoft on the xp mode and create a blank folder and copy the mbk file and rename it to .zip and see what happens. I will let you know.

backbones

Post by backbones » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. What I will do is start with a fresh windows 7 and install XP mode. Then install medisoft on the xp mode and create a blank folder and copy the mbk file and rename it to .zip and see what happens. I will let you know.

backbones

Post by backbones » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 am

So, I reinstalled Windows 7 and then installed Windows XP mode and installed Medisoft v12 SP2. However, in attempting to restore, I still get the same error. Its funny as I have one backup dated from back in 2003 and was able to restore that file. When I try to read the other backups I get the error. I tried renaming one of them with the .zip extention, but it was not recognizable from winzip...any other thoughts?

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:05 am

It sounds like your backup files are corrupt. You might be able to use a Winzip repair utility but I have never had much luck with these utilities. Medisoft automatically keeps a backup in a folder called Medidata\ConversionBackups. This will contain the backup that was saved the last time you converted your data. This might be better than your 2003 backup.

Jilda13

Post by Jilda13 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 am

We stopped using Medisoft backup some time ago when we started getting "Insert next disk" errors. We use the Windows built in backup function. We just backup the entire Medidata directory to a file on the same drive then copy that file to another drive in a different computer. One can also copy the file to a CD but that gets needlessly complicated and very slow. Proved its value once when a drive went bad. Oh yeah, we run V12 SP2 also on Windows XP.