Medisoft Wont Open After Windows Updates

Technical problems with Medisoft.
DustinE

Medisoft Wont Open After Windows Updates

Post by DustinE » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:50 am

I keep experiencing a strange issue with Medisoft v24.1.x (seemingly) failing to open after Windows Updates... When this happens, opening Medisoft will result in a prompt about having not closed Medisoft correctly -- and when I click Ok, nothing opens.

When I hold F7 and open Medisoft, i can reset the medidata path, and Medisoft will open, I get the error below (which I click OK to make go away). I can then use the application, navigate to other practices, etc... However, when I close Medisoft, I once again go back to the original behavior.

The error message:
Error 5004: Either ACE could not find the specified file, or you do not have sufficient rights to access the file. The data dictionary file (C:\MWDDF.ADD) is not found on the server.
at Advantage.Data.Provider.AdsInternalConnection.ConnectO
at Advantage.Data.Provider.AdsPoolManager.GetConnection(String strConnectionString, AdsInternalConnection& internalConnection, AdsConnectionPool& pool)
at Advantage.Data.Provider.AdsConnection.Open0
at DbCon..ctorpbConnection connection, String connectionString)
at MRServiceApiHelper.CoreMedisoft.NewPracticeCon0
at MSI.ServiceApiHelper.MSLServiceApiHelper.CallRegisterDbPath(String server, FhMessage req, Action waitAction)
at MRServiceApiHelper.MSLServiceApiHelper.Call(String server, FhMessage req, Action waitAction)

At first, I thought this might be because MWDDF.ADD doesn't exist on C:\ ... but, I don't think it should... It is within C:\Medidata\ -- I'm not sure what could be telling Medisoft to look at C:\ for that file.

I then thought maybe it's because Medisoft doesn't have permissions to access C:\, and even myself (as an Administrator), I could create folders on C:\, but I couldn't create files. Doing some reading I found that UAC could cause this, so I disabled it. I could now create files on C:\, but Medisoft had the same issue (not opening, and when doing F7 getting the above error message).

The first two times this happened to me I was on Windows 10 (the first time was in about July) -- and the latest time after doing a clean Windows 11 install. Note: Medisoft is installed to the default location the installer recommended, C:\Medisoft\.

Thus far, the only resolution has been to choose a system restore point prior to the update, and roll back.

I'm not sure if this is something anyone else has experienced, or if anyone has any ideas.

Gavin Walker

Re: Medisoft Wont Open After Windows Updates

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:03 am

Hi Dustin, this is a problem with Medisoft. It is "waiting" for something to happen during the Windows Update. If you look in task manager, you'll probably find that Windows Update is still running in the background even though you are logged in and using Windows. Once Windows Update completes to a certain point, the Medisoft will startup just fine. The Windows Update can continue to run for hours after a reboot. Pressing and holding F7 can work around the issue, but it should clear itself up by the next day at the latest.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

DustinE

Post by DustinE » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:22 pm

Thanks for the reply -- next time it happens, I'll have to take a look to see if Windows updates are still running.

When this has happened, it doesn't seem like MAPA.EXE is still running (I'm fairly sure i checked for this), so my guess is it's closing itself?

Anyway, this is annoying... If I find away to avoid it or force updates to complete faster, I'll update this thread (hopefully others can benefit from anything i find).

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:42 am

It is a mystery that the maker of Medisoft has not divulged to us. It is waiting for something and the Windows update process blocks Medisoft from finishing its startup process. It doesn't happen on every Windows update.