Medisoft V15 Backup Locks Up

Technical problems with Medisoft.
BevA

Medisoft V15 Backup Locks Up

Post by BevA » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:23 am

We just added ERAs to our Medisoft software (by purchase, of course, and with technical assistance to get it up and running correctly). The very next day Medisoft data backup runs to about 90% then stalls on an ERA file (shows this name ext \"ERA\" at the bottom of the backup \"screen\"). How to fix? Also, if we are to be in compliance with HIPAA, we're supposed to \"test\" our backup. How do we do that? :roll: Thank you.
Bev A.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:27 am

I have heard that if the Medisoft Backup hits a very long filename, it won't work. Do any of those .ERA files have long filenames? We have a backup service called HIPAA Backups that costs $57 to setup and $30/month for up to 4 GB if you need to use that.

The only work arounds I can think of are:

1. Use a different backup software than what came with Medisoft.

2. Move the files from your ERA folder to another place on your hard drive prior to backing up.

Regarding compliance with HIPAA, they only require that you have a disaster recovery plan. Should that plan include regular and automated offsite backups? I say yes. Should you be testing your backups? Again I say yes. Are any of these required by HIPAA? No.

A good way to test your backups is to create a new practice called \"TEST\" and restore your backup into that. Run a report such as your Practice Analysis and verify you get the same results from your live practice and your test practice. Take care that you switch back to the live practice prior to doing any work.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

BevA

Medisoft Bckup V15

Post by BevA » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:02 am

Thank you and yes, the backup stops on a long ERA file name. I will try as you suggest. Again, thank you!! (P.S. Can I just shorten the ERA file names?) :D
Bev A.

BevA

Medisoft Bckup V15 Fix/Fixed!

Post by BevA » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:18 am

All I did was move the ERA folder like you suggested and it WORKED! Thank you so very much!!!! I will try the \"test\" practice as well. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Bev A.