Shut off automatic secondary status update

Technical problems with Medisoft.
hrw911

Shut off automatic secondary status update

Post by hrw911 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:37 pm

When posting ERAs in RM, is there way to prevent it from automatically updating the secondary status of the claim to "Sent" when the claim is crossed over by Medicare to another carrier? I have many patients who have Medicaid replacement plans as secondary to Medicare. Medicare ERAs show that the claim crosses over to regular FFS Medicaid, but I actually have to bill the secondary Medicaid replacement plan myself. When I post ERAs for these patients, I have to manually go in and change the secondary status for each affected claim back to "Ready to Send", which is creating extra work. I'm using Advanced version 19 sp1.

Gavin Walker

Re: Shut off automatic secondary status update

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:21 pm

You need to un-check Crossover Claim on the Policy 2 tab of the Case and then click Update All in Transaction Entry if you have already entered the transactions.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

hrw911

Post by hrw911 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:16 am

Yes. I have already done that, but then when RM auto posts the primary payment, RM is changing the secondary status to sent as part of the primary posting process.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Make sure you clicked Update All and un-check Complementary Crossover on the insurance.

hrw911

Post by hrw911 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I had already done that before posting the ERAs. Not only does RM update the secondary claim status to "Sent", it also updates the secondary sent date to the date that I post the ERA.

hrw911

Post by hrw911 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:05 am

Any word on if there's a way to change this? Right now, I am having to manually go back to every claim that didn't "actually" crossover, and change the secondary sent status to "Ready to Send"?

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:59 pm

If it doesn't automatically cross over every time, then I would un-check all the crossover options and just send the secondary claim every time just to make sure the secondary insurance gets it. The worst that will happen is you get a few duplicate claims.

hrw911

Post by hrw911 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Maybe I'm not expressing the issue well.When posting payments, RM is only looking at the ERA info (and ignoring all other settings and indicators that set up in Medisoft) when deciding whether or not the claim has crossed over. When a patient has regular Medicare primary and a Medicaid replacement plan (like Meridian) as secondary, here's what happens:

When I set up the case, I leave "Crossover Claim" unchecked and make sure that Meridian has "Complementary Crossover" also unchecked. So when I send the claim to the primary payer, the secondary payer status stays as "Ready to Send" which is correct.

Medicare processes the claim and then issues an ERA that says the claim crossed over to regular Medicaid. They do this for Medicare/Medicaid patients even if the patient is enrolled in Meridian Medicaid. When I auto post this remit in RM, it automatically updates the secondary status to sent (this is the problem).

Then I have to manually go through each Medicare/Medicaid claim on the remit to see which ones are actually Meridian secondary claims. I then have to manually change the secondary status back to "Ready to Send" in order to send the secondary claims.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm

So you are saying Medicare indicates that the claim crossed over when it really didn't?

hrw911

Post by hrw911 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:45 pm

It did crossover to regular Medicaid, but it needs to actually be billed secondary to the Medicaid replacement plan (like Meridian).

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Does Meridian have a MediGap #? I am thinking you need to include that so Medicare knows who to cross the claim over to.

hrw911

Post by hrw911 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:42 am

Including the Medigap # doesn't matter. Medicare will crossover to regular Medicaid no matter what. Those claims have to be manually billed to the correct secondary Medicaid replacement plan.