Can I upgrade to V11 SP4 from V11 SP1?

Technical problems with Medisoft.
guggesn

Can I upgrade to V11 SP4 from V11 SP1?

Post by guggesn » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi, I'm just trying to help out my sister who has Medisoft V11. And since she's using only about 10% of the product, and doesn't need anymore than patient records for a small alternative health practice, I'm not recommending that she upgrade to V14 or 15. (In fact, I might just build her an Access database, since she does no insurance billing.) I'm a tech support consultant, so I'm not unfamiliar with databases, connectivity and problems. We're hitting the 6420 right now, but I have a few more steps to work through, thanks to this site! I've pinged servername and IP both directions and that's fine, I've opened TCP and UDP ports (hey, does this have to occur on both machines, server and client? The docs all say just client for ports, for incoming data) and allowed exceptions for the three database files on the server. But I'm using dynamic IP and I won't be turning off the firewall if I can help it. I will probably go ahead and create an Ads.ini file.
My related question is - can I upgrade her from V11 Sp1 to Sp4 without SP 2 or 3?

Thanks!
Susan

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi Susan, yes you can. In fact, Medisoft v11 sp4 is a full install so you can install that directly without installing sp1 first.

A few things to keep in mind:
1. Medisoft v11 does not work with Vista.
2. Advantage Database must be installed on the server machine if this is a Network Pro installation.
3. Network Pro is required if you want to run this on more than one machine.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

guggesn

Post by guggesn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Gavin,
Thanks! I will upgrade as soon as I can. She has Network Pro (well, I think so, she bought the flavor that allows two networked users). I installed the Advantage DB and can confirm that's working for the server/workstation. As I mentioned before, I'm getting the 6420 error on the client workstation, but I will test with firewall OFF, and it's that's the problem, I think I will then resolve with an ADS.ini file
Susan

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Incorrectly configured firewall software is a common problem. It is pretty rare that we have to resort to an ADS.ini file.

Also, be sure that you share the Medidata folder on the server and that you can browse it from the client.

Will Medisoft work from the server machine?

guggesn

Post by guggesn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:23 pm

I did share the folder, and I can browse to it from client machine. I can ping both directions, server/client, by name and IP. And yes, Medisoft works fine from server machine. So if ads.ini is rare case, I wonder what is causing the 6420? I do need to test with open firewall, will do that and post results.
Susan