Access Violation After Changing Practices (Medisoft v14)

Technical problems with Medisoft.
Dustin

Post by Dustin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:24 am

We have been getting the occasional (at the rate of about 6-7 per day across 10 active users going between our many practices) Access Violation when switching from one practice to another. It does not happen every time, and it does not happen consistently with certain practices (At least that I have noticed yet).

Anyway so it seems to happen after the second practice gets opened. I have not yet found out if it has been happening before or after entering their username's / passwords for the practice.

EDIT: I just found out for sure that the errors come up after the login information is entered in and they click ok.

EDIT2: One last thing to note, the message will be like: \"Access Violation at address 00000008. Read of address 00000008\" or similar, the point is its not a MAPA.EXE access violation. Kind of interesting...

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 pm

Does the error happen when switching practices within Medisoft or Office Hours?

If the executable is not MAPA.exe, what executable is it?

Is this running under Terminal Server?
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 am

It happens when switching practices within Medisoft...

I was looking through more error reports related to this from our office today and the error is normally \"Access violation at address 00000000. Read address of 00000000\" (Which has happened 4 times across 4 different practices).

However I noticed tonight that \"Access violation at address 00466404 in module 'MAPA.EXE'. Read address of 00000094\" has occurred 3 times across 3 different practices.

Those are the exact errors that seem to happen the most frequently after changing practices.

EX: I am in \"Practice A\" I switch to \"Practice B\", \"Practice B\" asks me for my username & password, I give them, I click ok, and the error occurs shortly after that.

This is not running under Terminal Server, they are actually XP machines... And the errors are happening across different machines. So the errors are not happening on a single box.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:10 am

If you do NOT plan to run Medisoft under Terminal Server, you might try setting up Global Logins. It streamlines the process of switching practices and might eliminate your errors. Please note that Global Logins do NOT work under Terminal Server and you will need to create a new Medidata root folder if you later decide not to use Global Logins.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:19 am

I the past I have not found the process of setting up Global Logins very clear... Is there something I can read somewhere that will give me a little more information?

Anyway, What do you think about temporarily removing the logins from some of the practices having this issue instead of using the Global Logins?

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:03 am

I assume you already looked in F1 for help. I learned the most about it by just setting it up and playing around with it.

Depending on your security requirements, removing your Medisoft logins might work around the issue you are having with access violations. You might also check that your users aren't working too fast. It takes Medisoft a few seconds to switch to the new practice and be ready for use again.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:47 am

ok...

My last question would be if you know if there are any issues running two or more instances of medisoft with global logins?

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Well, that is another limitation of Global Logins. Since Medisoft only allows one login/user and Medisoft will assume the same user again if it is started on the same machine. It will revert to a standard login if the global doesn't work, but it is kind of goofy.

Maybe your best bet will be to startup multiple Medisoft sessions into the practices you want to work in and then switch between the windows.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Well, I deleted the usernames & passwords from a couple of the practices that were having this issue for a few days and it did nothing to stop the errors.

jswindell
Site Admin

Access violation

Post by jswindell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm researching this and will post any results.

Jilda12

Post by Jilda12 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:19 am

Has a solution been devised?

Dustin

Re: Access Violation After Changing Practices (Medisoft v14)

Post by Dustin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:37 pm

Jilda12 wrote:Has a solution been devised?
No, I am afraid not.... We are still having this issue. I am guessing you are too?