Upgrading to Version 15

Technical problems with Medisoft.
cborders

Upgrading to Version 15

Post by cborders » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Yesterday we upgraded to version 15 from version 12 sp2. We have 19 accounts. All of them converted except 4. These 4 happen to be accounts that are recent, withing the last 12 months.

When going through the conversion process, all 4 accounts behave the same way. Everything appears to be going along perfect, Validate data, Retrieve Version #, Set up Connections, Set up Conversion Routines, Convert Data, Update data Version #, and even Rebuilding Indexes. The Medisoft Reports Data Conversion Utility then pops up(actually there is nothing explaining what to do with this, so I press Convert Data). I then get \"Conversion completed successfully\" with a reference to my log file.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Conversion began at: 4/4/2009 11:11:22 PM
Converting from version v12
Version 14 Conversion Log
Version 14 SP1 Conversion Log
Version 15 Conversion Log
Conversion completed successfully.
Conversion finished at: 4/4/2009 11:14:07 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Based on this I believe my data in these 4 accounts is actually being converted properly, but when I press \"ok\", I get an error box \"The conversion Process did not complete successfully\" and Medisoft closes.

My gut tells me that the data is converted properly. I think some process happens at the very end, perhaps with a table in the RootData directory, and this is what is failing.

If I try to convert the data again, I end up with a log file 7meg long, again, because I think the data is actually converted to v15 already.

Using Advantage Data Architect, I have compared pre converted tables from an account that converted just fine with one of the 4 that didn't, and can't find any inconsistencies, but, I think that is to be expected, because I don't think the problem is there.

I tried to look at the tables in the RootData directory but can only get to a few of them. I'm going to try to upgrade to ARC 9 to match the Advantage Database version. To look at the tables in an account I know you need the \"user\" and \"password\". Is the user and password different to get to the RootData tables?

Sorry, so long. Hopefully this makes sense. Hope I can get this working, I don't want to have to roll everything back to v12 on Monday, yuck!

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Well, something didn't convert properly, but without an error it is impossible to say what exactly what happened. Since you just purchased version 15, you should have support from the reseller you purchased from. You need to go back to your reseller and have them fix this issue for you. If you happen to have purchased this from us, just give us a call and we'll fix this for you without any additional charges.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

cborders

Post by cborders » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:35 pm

We purchased directly from McKesson. When we purchased the software, I asked this very question, \"Would they help us if the install went south?, and the answer was we would have to pay the fee for 30 days support. We're going to try calling them first thing Monday morning and see what they say.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:05 am

Interesting, my reseller agreement with McKesson says that I have to provide 30 days of support with every sale. I always throw in an extra month and make that 60 days of support. Based upon what you say, if you purchase direct from McKesson you get NO support with your purchase. I am curious to find out how this turns out for you.

cborders

Post by cborders » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 am

After spending the entire weekend comparing db files from accounts that converted just fine with the 4 accounts that would not, I was unable to determine the cause of the problem. I have always been able to resolve these issues myself over the years with ARC, but not this time.

Called McKesson first thing Monday morning and had to sign up for 30 days support. They wouldn't do it over the phone they made us sign up on the WEB. We called after we got out confirmation and they said it would take a day or two to process! I'm about to blow a gasket at this point. My business is down and I can't get help. After we screamed bloody murder, they rushed our support contract.

Turns out that in the MWOPT table there is a field \"Data Version Number\" that needed a 26 for version 15. Go figure! Probably why I missed it when I was comparing tables. If I had seen a 12 in there and a 15 in the good accounts, that would have made sense to me. But for some reason the developers chose 26 to represent version 15.

We are still having all kinds of weird issues with version 15. Accounts that say they are in use by another user, when no one else is logged on. Strange login problems where you login as you, but you're actually logged in as someone else. The Global user process is clear as mud, in my opinion, but I think I' got all those issues resolved. Except today, a user got into an account in the morning, then in the afternoon the account wasn't in their available accounts list.

Needless to say, we have lots of things to call tech support about now, try to take advantage of the 30 days they made us pay for.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:49 am

Glad your issue was resolved. Be warned, setting the MWOPT table is actually the last step of the conversion. The fact that it was not being set automatically indicates that there was some other error during your conversion. Maybe this will cause an issue down the road, and maybe it won't. Be sure to exercise Medisoft thoroughly before the 30 days are up in case there are more issues that have yet to surface.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:40 pm

cborders,

I was curious if you had any issues further down the road? Did you ultimately find that somewhere you had some corrupt data?

I've run into this same problem but when converting from v11 -> v14 and also v12 -> 14, BUT not converting from v11 -> v12

Like you I checked the usual areas using Advantage Data Architect for corruption, mwtrn, mwcas, mwpat, mwcla, etc... But I simply found nothing that seemed to be corrupt... I have yet to check any other tables, but everything looks good.

I have considered changing the version number in the mwopt, but I agree with Gavin that there was a problem somewhere in the conversion and that it could be a problem later on.

Anyway, I was just curious how this turned out for you (Hopefully it went well).[/u]

stefan

Conversion

Post by stefan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:55 pm

I had this same problem converting from 12 to 14 and now have this same problem converting from v14 to v15 it is always the new practices that I created in the current version I am using. So only the practices I created in V14 do not convert to v15 and practices that I created before that version convert fine.

Any thoughts on this

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:43 pm

You know, I noticed the same thing... It's the newer practices that have the issue.

Anyway, Have you fixed it yet? Or are you still looking for a solution?

stefan

conversion

Post by stefan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 pm

I have found through arc32 that the dataversion field does show up as 25 in the practices that will not convert and there is a 26 in the practices that will.

Unfortunately I am not familar with arc 32 (and I have version 8 I do not know if there is a 9) and when I manually change the field to 26 it will not stick it just goes back to 25 after I close the table.

Anybody familar enough with arc32 and how to create a connection that allows updates to the data?

I also tried using the ODBC driver with access but I cannot access that particular table.

I am pretty sure that changing that field would solve the problem.

Any help would be appreciated

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:48 pm

I will try changing the version number on one of my dataset's sometime tonight and see what happens. If it works and everything looks solid I will see about posting up some directions for making the changes correctly in the Data Architect.

stefan

Conversion

Post by stefan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:59 pm

I was successfully able to change the MWOPT dataversion field to 26 and it worked.

As Gavin mentioned above I do not know if there is other data corruption but I do not believe so since it is only in the newer practices we have problems with.

I actually created a brand new practice in V14 and tried to convert and had the same error.

I am converting the data and getting the error then going into arc32 and changing the dataversion field to 26. This seems to be working.

I am not familar with arc32 and I couldn't change the field directly I had to go into the table properties under that field and put the default value to 26 and that seems to have worked fine.

Only been working on this issue for about 7 hours.

Good Luck

Dustin

Re: Conversion

Post by Dustin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 pm

stefan wrote:I was successfully able to change the MWOPT dataversion field to 26 and it worked.

As Gavin mentioned above I do not know if there is other data corruption but I do not believe so since it is only in the newer practices we have problems with.

I actually created a brand new practice in V14 and tried to convert and had the same error.

I am converting the data and getting the error then going into arc32 and changing the dataversion field to 26. This seems to be working.

I am not familar with arc32 and I couldn't change the field directly I had to go into the table properties under that field and put the default value to 26 and that seems to have worked fine.

Only been working on this issue for about 7 hours.

Good Luck
I also created a new practice, completely empty, and it had the same problem converting...

I opened the MWOPT in the data Architect made the changes and applied them... So far from what I can tell the databases seem fine.

It's a very odd issue which does not really make any since.

Anyway, If I have any issues with the data I will let you know.

If you have any problems with your data I would appreciate hearing about them.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:52 pm

I have not had any luck converting a \"new\" practice from v14 to v15. The best suggestion I can come up with is to create the practice again in v15 sp1. I would not want to risk an issue down the road with a new practice if something didn't convert properly. I am still waiting for a solution from Medisoft about this issue.

Dustin

Re:

Post by Dustin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:06 am

Gavin Walker wrote:I have not had any luck converting a "new" practice from v14 to v15. The best suggestion I can come up with is to create the practice again in v15 sp1. I would not want to risk an issue down the road with a new practice if something didn't convert properly. I am still waiting for a solution from Medisoft about this issue.
Well in my case, I created a brand new practice, with nothing in it for the purpose of simply testing the conversion...

I am also converting from v11 to v12 and then v14. I want to do my final conversion July 3rd or 4th when everyone is out of the office and will jump to either v12 or v14 (depending on if i get everything with v14 sorted or not).

Just out of curiosity though, when did you ask first Medisoft about this?

When I get some time tomorrow I also want to duplicate the mwopt from a v12 practice that converts to v14 fine, and put it into a v12 practice that does not convert to v14 without changing the version issue manually.

I have to say Gavin, I am impressed with how active you are in assisting people on these boards. I know that I have found them to be a valuable resource.