Medisoft v19 Root Backup and Hot Backup error

Technical problems with Medisoft.
ExpertSkinDoc

Medisoft v19 Root Backup and Hot Backup error

Post by ExpertSkinDoc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 am

My Medisoft v19 would do a normal full backup without error, but when I try to do a Backup Root Data, I get an error 'An error occurred, "Zipforge1: Cannot open file "...\medidata\SharedData.add" - Native error: 00033...". Is this normal? Do I need to do a root backup for any reason? It seems Zipforge1 can't backup any of the SharedData.* files. I'm running backup withing Medisoft PA itself, is there a standalone root backup program that would work? Is it even needed?

Also, when I try to do a Hot Backup, I get an 'I/O error 32'. I know that this is not normal, I just can't figure out is it my data that's corrupted or Medisoft the way it's set up is giving me the error.

Gavin Walker

Re: Medisoft v19 Root Backup and Hot Backup error

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:06 am

More than likely there is at least someone else in at least one of the Medisoft databases. Keep in mind, interface software including Medisoft Mobile server (pluto server) gets installed on the server automatically. The interface software needs to be stopped. But, you should be able to do a Hot Backup of the Root data. You could also look into third-party backup software such as Windows backup.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

ExpertSkinDoc

Post by ExpertSkinDoc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:16 am

Gavin, you are awesome!

I stopped McKesson MSL Mobile Api Server, ran the Root Backup, works! Hot Root Backup also works, but still gets I/O error 32 when I run Hot Backup. I don't see a need for hot backup and hot restore, hopefully Medisoft can get out a new version update that will fix this problem.

Sandu

Post by Sandu » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:07 pm

I was having the same issue. Thank you very much Gavin.

What info does the Root Backup contains and why it can only be backed up from within the Medisoft client?

Thanks.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:02 pm

The main things that are in your Root backup is your Medisoft registration information and the list of practices that you have setup. You can print out your registration information and re-key it if necessary. And, unless you have a long list of practices setup in Medisoft, it is easy to re-add the practices to an empty practice list.

Sandu

Post by Sandu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:04 am

I understand that it gives you list of practices. If I wanted to restore a practice from backup then I would still have to create a new practice with the same name, point the restore data to that practice and then restore since the practices in the list are not pointing to anything. This if you are moving data to a new server.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 am

Yes, the Root backup is not much use on a new server because the practice list will try to point to the old server.

cborders

Post by cborders » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 am

Does the Hot Backup behave like a normal Backup, just allowing the account to be backed up while someone is in it? I'm testing a Hot Backup and it has been running for 20 minutes. No file has been created in the Hot Backup folder I created. Task Scheduler is showing (Not Responding). Is this normal? How long does the Hot Backup typically last? All my normal Backups last between 1-4 minutes to complete.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:54 am

It only takes a little longer. Did the Backup Progress meter start advancing? Or does it still say "Preparing files for backup"? To answer your question, yes Hot Backup is supposed to work like a regular backup except you can do it while others are in the database. You must use the Hot Restore function to restore the data.

cborders

Post by cborders » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Ok, thanks Gavin! I'll give it another try. I never got the msg "Preparing files for backup". Something else must have been going on.

saxman2u

Post by saxman2u » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Besides windows backup (built-in backup software for server 2012), is anyone using any 3rd party applications like crashplan, ibackup, carbonite to backup their medidata folder?

I am using crashplan for a secondary redundant cloud backup but have noticed that several files including mwddf.add mwadd.ai and mwddf.am are being skipped.

-SS

cborders

Post by cborders » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:24 pm

I tried using Carbonite to backup all my accounts (live) in the medidata folder but ran into issues. I switched to backing up my Medisoft backups to Carbonite. So no I run Medisoft backup on each account every night and then those backup files go offsite to Carbonite each night. The files you mentioned may be open all the time and that's why Crashplan is unable to get ahold of them. Gavin will have more info I'm sure.