Remote Desktop Connection Problems

Technical problems with Medisoft.
whstephe

Remote Desktop Connection Problems

Post by whstephe » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 am

Have a client that runs Medisoft 17 on Server 2008 std. Server is running Terminal Services and remote locations use Remode Desktop to run Medisoft. We are experiencing Medisoft freezing up, slow and sometimes no printing. Are there any documents available that tell how to configure Medisoft to run remotely? Also suggestions on how best to get this done.

Gavin Walker

Re: Remote Desktop Connection Problems

Post by Gavin Walker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:21 am

Medisoft tends to pop up modal windows which must be answered before you continue. For example, when you are applying payments from a deposit, Medisoft may pop up and say "Do you want to print statements now?". The user must click yes or no to continue. If you are clicking along (or double clicking) it is possible to click the Medisoft main window back on top of this pop-up window. So then, it appears that Medisoft has frozen because it won't respond until the question is answered in the pop-up window that is now in the background where the user can't see it. For whatever reason, this problem tends to occur more frequently in a remote desktop environment.

When this happens, just ALT-Tab away from Medisoft to another program you have running. Then ALT-Tab back to Medisoft and the pop-up window will filter back to the top.

If this is not your issue, I'll need more specific details about when Medisoft freezes. What is the user doing in Medisoft when the freeze occurs?
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

whstephe

Post by whstephe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:02 am

I am unable to completely test your suggestion but let me give some more details. The complaint I get the most is Medisoft freezes after it is idle for a while. They also telll me it freezes when posting a payment. I am testing the first senario as I write and will give you an update. As for posting a payment that will need to wait until I can get a staff member to assist.

A Medisoft freeze that I can duplicate easily is odd and probably shouldn't happen. Start up Office Hours. Instead of logging in click exit and it produces a freeze. My guess is that Offiice Hours shouldn't start anyway. The only way to exit is to Cntrl Alt End. Alt Tab didn't bring up any boxes hidden in the background.

More backgroun: This server was set up first to run internally with a few client computeres. After a while they open a couple of branches. Medisoft was running on Server 2008 Std. Remote Desktop/Terminal Services role was added a few weeks ago and the freezing began.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:53 pm

whstephe wrote:The complaint I get the most is Medisoft freezes after it is idle for a while. They also telll me it freezes when posting a payment.
Yes, the scenario I describe above frequently happens while posting payments. Also, disable Auto log-off from Medisoft Program Options -> HIPAA tab. Instead there are Windows options to control remote desktop behavior if their session has been idle too long.

whstephe

Post by whstephe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:57 pm

What is diffenece between Server 2008 Std and Server 2008 Std R2 when it comes to Remote Desktop and Terminal Serices? Server 2008 Std list Terminal Services as a Role. Server 2008 Std R2 list Remote Desktop as a role. Does it matter or is one better than the other?

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:25 pm

The changes are minor. I haven't noticed any differences yet.