Medisoft EDI updates

Posts related Medisoft software.
Paul Williams

Medisoft EDI updates

Post by Paul Williams » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:29 pm

I've been wondering for a while...
Medisoft seems to post frequent updates to their EDI modules.

We do not subscribe to any of Medisofts EDI modules, rather we use Medisoft to batch up the claims into a file, then upload that to a third-party clearinghouse website (it's ENS, this year). Medicare secondaries have to be manually re-entered into Pro-Ace32 and sent over the phone line to the WPS BBS.

My question relates to certain electronic claims that we have rejected, that then have to be printed and physically mailed (Medicare primary Box:19 errors, and others).

To my questions:
1. Should the EDI updates be applied, even though one may not subscribe to a EDI-direct product through Medisoft? In other words, will an EDI update affect the format of a batch created for manual transmission?
2. On which machines do the EDI updates need to be applied? Just the machine/s that create the batch of claims? Or all client machines?
3. When a service pack is released, will it contain the equivalent of the latest EDI update within it?

Thank you so much, kind sir.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:26 am

Hey Paul, you only need to install the EDI Module update for each module that you use. Most clearinghouses do not use an EDI Module but instead do a mapping for you using the CMS to file method. There are exceptions though - Availity uses the AVAP module for example.

Since you say you don't use an EDI Module, then installing those updates won't affect your claims in any way. So it is not recommended that you install any of those module updates.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386