Cycle billing

Posts related Medisoft software.
drk

Cycle billing

Post by drk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:25 am

What are the pros and cons of using "Cycle Billing"?

Our use-case: We post 835s on a daily basis, and want to send out invoices weekly. However, we also want to resend the invoices that are over 30 days past-due.

From reading the online help, even if cycle billing is enabled, it appears that I should be able to send out weekly remainder statements. Is my understanding accurate? I am also thinking of setting up cycle billing for 30 days. What do I lose by doing this? Should the cycle be a different length? TIA.

Gavin Walker

Re: Cycle billing

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:00 am

Cycle Billing works great for many practices. You can send out statements weekly, but only send out statements every 30 days to each guarantor. This keeps a steady cash flow going in your office.

Here is the main rub with Cycle Billing - if you have new remainder services then a statement will be sent out on the next weekly cycle even though it may have been less than 30 days since you sent a previous statement that has older services on it to a particular guarantor. So, if you have a patient that comes in daily or weekly, then you would be sending them a statement every week which may not be what you want.

Another thing to consider is some months have 31 days in them. If you want to give the patient a full month to pay the statement, then you might want to consider a 31-day cycle. If you want to factor in mailing and posting time, then you might even go 45 days. But, you have complete flexibility over how long of a billing cycle to use.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

drk

Post by drk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks for the quick reply -- we have weekly patients, and as you said, rather not send out a statement weekly to them.

I wonder if this will work -- Setup the cycle billing to 30 days, and select only remainder statements "Older than" 30 days in the selection dialog. This should exclude the weekly patients, but should pick them up once a month. Has anyone tried this?

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:44 pm

That should work, but it kind of defeats the purpose of getting statements out the door quickly and improving cash flow. I wish McKesson would fix this. :(

drk

Post by drk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Agree, that is a bummer. I also just realized that this tactic would hold the new and non-periodic established patients as well. :x