V19 hotfix error

Posts related Medisoft software.
DrTom

V19 hotfix error

Post by DrTom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:28 pm

I am currently running Medisoft Network Professional V19 SP1 (19.1.2.29) on a server and 4 work stations (all running Windows 7 Professional SP1). When I tried to do the hotfix it installed (19.1.3.38) on the server with no problem but not on any of the work stations.

At 75% of the install, while trying to copy the file M:\ ReportDefs\repField.adt I get the error message:
The file M:\ ReportDefs\repField.adt could not be opened. please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. The system cannot find the path specified.
There is 171 GB free on the 229 GB disk, I am signed on as an administrator and have been running V19 SP1 (19.1.2.29) on the work stations since March without any problems of it finding any files.

Is there any other information you need to help me with this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Dr. Tom

Gavin Walker

Re: V19 hotfix error

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:31 am

It looks like you have drive M: mapped to a share on your server. Make sure your user has rights to create a file and delete it on drive M:. Then rename the ReportDefs folder to ReportDefs-Backup and restart Medisoft on the server. That should generate a new ReportDefs folder. Now try the install again from your workstation.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

DrTom

Post by DrTom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:06 am

Thank you. I will try this tonight once we shut down for the day.

DrTom

Post by DrTom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 pm

I renamed ReportDefs folder to ReportDefs-Backup and restarted Medisoft on the server. It created a new ReportDefs folder as expected on drive M:. I made certain that I could access, create and delete files and folders from the work station, then tried the hotfix again and received the same error as before.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:46 pm

We always setup Medisoft to access the Medidata share directly, so I would say less than 10% of our customers are using mapped drives like you are. Although mapped drives are "supposed" to work there might be a programming bug in the hotfix install that doesn't work with mapped drives. Try this to access the share directly:

1. On the server on drive M:\ make a backup copy of MWDBlist.* and then delete MWDBlist.adt and any other files starting with MWDBlist.

2. While pressing and holding the F7 key, launch Medisoft.

3. You will be prompted for the location of the Medisoft Root Data directory. We usually name this share "MediData" but you will use whatever share you have mapped as drive M:. So instead of browsing to drive M: you will browse under Network to your server and the share. So when you are done, it should look something like this: \\<server name>\MediData

4. Click the New button to add a New Practice and add your practice back into the list with your Practice Name and Folder Name under the share. Repeat this step for any additional practices that you have setup in Medisoft.

5. Repeats steps 2 through 4 on the workstation and exit Medisoft.

6. Now try installing the hotfix.

DrTom

Post by DrTom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am wondering if you would recommend that I set up the server so that MediData is directly accessed instead of using the mapped drive. My thought is that doing this may eliminate problems that have not even come up yet. So, do you think it is worth the effort to do that?

Thank you again.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:49 am

That is what I am suggesting. If you have a mapped drive, the share is probably already setup and ready to use.

DrTom

Post by DrTom » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:37 am

Got it, Thanks! Now is there a simple way to tell medisoft to look for the direct access to the medidata file -medidata (\\Servername) or should I reinstall it on the work station?