Upgrading physical server

Posts related Medisoft software.
jhebert

Upgrading physical server

Post by jhebert » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Gavin, I have been reading through this forum hoping to find some information about the issue I am working with. I have noticed that you have been very helpful to other users with their questions and I am hoping you can help me out with this.

What I have is a small doctor's office that is currently using Medisoft Office Hours Professional v.17 on about 7 systems. One of the systems that is being used is the server as well as being a workstation for one of the users. The "server", albeit just an old computer, is very slow and is needing to be changed entirely. That is where I come in. I am in the process of putting in a new system to act to the server for Medisoft Office Hours. I have (or I believe I have) all the necessary software. What I am looking for are the proper steps to making this new system the server.

I have installed the advantage database server on the system, created the "medidata" folder, and backup up their current practice information. After referring to the "Medisoft V17 Installation Instructions March 2011.pdf" I feel there is something I am missing to actually getting the backup data on the new system and then pointing the other systems to use the new server.

Any help you can provide on this will be greatly appreciated. I have a general of the office hours software. My training more involves the network and hardware support.

Gavin Walker

Re: Upgrading physical server

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Did you create a Medidata share? Run Office Hours on the new server and create a blank new practice. Then from the old server, run a backup and restore that to the new server in the new blank practice. Press and hold F7 while starting Office Hours on the other machines and enter \\<new server name>\medidata to point the workstations over to the new server. Stop Advantage on the old server so someone doesn't access the old dataset.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

jhebert

Post by jhebert » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks Gavin for the quick reply...

Yes I did create the medidata share and gave it open full control access that it needed. I just wasn't sure the proper way of restoring the data on the new system and how the medidata folder populated itself with the information. I will do as you instructed and see if I get where I need to be. I am being very hesitant about messing with the data because I don't want to mess up the current practice.

When I create a blank new practice, will it ask me where to save the data, and I just point it to the medidata folder on the new server?

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Yes, when you create a practice, Office Hours will prompt for a practice name and a folder name that will reside under Medidata. We recommend using a folder name that doesn't have any spaces in it to make things a little easier.

jhebert

Post by jhebert » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:59 am

Gavin - I wanted to follow up to thank you for the help you gave me. I was able to setup a mock two workstation network and test everything as if I were at the office. Just as you explained I was able to get the old practice imported in and running without any issues. Again thank you.