Free Medisoft Support & Other - Courtesy Support Resource

For prospective & existing Walker Tek Solutions' clients. (Remember me for upgrades ~ Gavin)
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 am 

I would like to ask about what the difference is between that Backup and Backup Root Data? I understand that the regular Backup is our practice information, but what is the Root data Backup? Do both backups need to be run (ie do I need to run both daily and weekly, saving them like tuesdayroot, tuesdaybackup etc?)
I just was able to overcome the access violation when attempting the regular backup due to too many files in EMC folder. We run Medisoft v 12 and are soon to upgrade to v 17, but we need some reliable backups.
Thanks for all of the information you've made available here. I just saved the link to the knowledge base. I was wondering where it had gone!
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:20 am 

If you run a Backup, it backs up all the files under your practice data folder, including subfolders.

If you run a Backup Root Data, it backs up all the files within your Medisoft Root Data folder (usually C:\Medidata), but it does not include any subfolders. You only need to run this after registering your software or after you add a new practice to your practice list. I have found the Restore Root Data function to be unreliable, but if you work with a value added reseller, they should be able to restore your root data folder manually from the backup. Alternatively, if you keep a printout of your registration information, that should be all that you need from your root data. If you need to restore to a new computer, just key the registration information in and your are good to go.

We offer a backup service called HIPAA Backup Service if you need it.

Last edited by Gavin Walker on Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:26 pm 

I have medisoft v18 net pro. When I go to "file" > "backup" > then "backup data" it back everything up fine. However when I tried to restore the database it says backup contain root files. I'm sure I did not use the Root Backup method. What do you think caused it and does the root backup include the company database? My medisoft program directory is installed on "C:\Medisoft" but my database is located in "E:\medidata".

My objective is to restore the database to a new company file/name.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:58 pm 

Your Medisoft Root Data is normally in \MediData and your practice data will be in \MediData\<practice folder name>.

Issues can happen when Medisoft gets installed or a new Windows users is created, then Medisoft will prompt for the Medisoft Root Data folder. If you browse to \MediData\<practice folder name> then root data files will get mixed into your practice data files.

If you purchase a month of Medisoft support from us, then we have a batch file that can clean this up fairly fast and we can work with you to get that data restored.

Take care!