Important Medisoft KB access information

General information about Medisoft
Gavin Walker

Important Medisoft KB access information

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:07 am

McKesson has for years had their Knowledge Base (KB) open to anybody and everybody, including their competitors. When it is made public like it has been, all McKesson's competitors have access to this information as well. So, for now, the link to the KB has been removed from Lytec.com and Medisoft.com websites for customers.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

prosete

Re: Important Medisoft KB access information

Post by prosete » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:28 pm

I have been a Medisoft user since its DOS days, back in 1991-92. Ever since they created the KB, I have found it extremely useful as a resource, even if it was not necessarily 'search friendly.' Never having had to summon help from Medisoft's 800- tech support line, I now find it extremely disturbing to find I cannot access the KB. Instead, I have to face upward of 2 hrs on hold with their support line - or- leave a message and trigger their old 'call-back' support routine they first introduced (but temporarily discontinued) some 3 years ago. It appears they brought the 'call-back' system back, making getting answers to simple questions a more difficult and challenging task.

As for the KB being open to Medisoft's competitors, I find that to be a lame excuse for closing it down to users. It would be quite prudent and savvy for any Medisoft competitor to have purchased every version of Medisoft over the years, then turning it over to their software development teams to take apart and know all they need to know about Medisoft. They don't need the KB for learning all they want about Medisoft software. They just buy it and deconstruct it. All competitors in any industry get a hold of each other's products so they can 'learn' what each of them is doing. Car manufacturers do this all the time, buying whole series of their competitors models so their engineers can learn what they can adopt or improve on. I seriously doubt Medisoft's KB contained any corporate 'secrets' (which is what they really need to protect) that would have been revealed to their competitors online.

I suspect the elimination of the KB has more to do with increasing their bottom line $$, since many users will most likely end up purchasing support agreements (or paying per support session) for answers which they could have obtained from the KB.

This is the type of 'anti-loyal user' effort that will make me seriously consider abandoning Medisoft whenever v17 gets stale and I find myself in need of an upgrade.

P.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Psst...search my forum for "knowledgebase". Any link that I posted to the Medisoft knowledgebase is still active. Follow that link and then click Home.

prosete

Post by prosete » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:14 am

Excellent! Worked like a charm! :D
I had contacted 3 VAR's I'm familiar with (one in my local area) for something like this and none had any access to the kb.
Thanks!

LightLives

Post by LightLives » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Boy I have to say McKesson really showed their hand as to how they consider their customers by removing the KB. I started supporting a small clinic who had more then a 2x prior release of Medisoft and when i called for support they just repeatedly told me You Must Upgrade. I've never encountered that type of software experience before (even with MS), but I was able to make it work by accessing their KB. I am now doing EHR consulting for other medical clinics and I can guarantee you McKesson will never be considered. To intentionally deprive customers of needed support data is not simply a terrible business practice it is dangerous as well.
That being said I want to truly extend thanks to you for creating this forum and for your generous spirit of wanting to help others. Profits are important but helping others to have a positive experience I will choose anytime and I will always spend my dollars with organizations that support me.

Thank you!

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 pm

The old Medisoft knowledgebase is gone now. None of the links on my forum worked anymore, so I removed them.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

Hulty

Post by Hulty » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:47 pm

I still have access to the KB but they have not updated any help files since v17.
Medisoft Advanced V27

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm

The KB is back up again, but it is only a matter of time before it is gone for good. So save all the information you can.