New Server

General information about Medisoft
jack

New Server

Post by jack » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:51 am

How do you move the Advanace database from one server to another? I assume that after the database is moved there is something that has to change on the server to point it to the new location? I am certain I also need to reinstall it on the workstations after the database is moved. I just dont see anything on here on how to actually move the database and the procedure to do that.

Gavin Walker

Re: New Server

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Create a Mediidata share on the new server and copy the contents of Medidata from the old server. Delete MWDBList.* from the new server and stop Advantage on the old server. Now press and hold F7 when you start Medisoft on each workstation. You will be prompted for the Medidata root folder. Browse to \\<new server name>\MediData. You will be prompted to create a new practice. Add a practice for each practice folder that you have.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

drk

Post by drk » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:59 pm

I did this recently - my first machine had dynamic IP and that was causing connectivity issues. Before you try anything else, backup your data! You have to run a regular backup as well as a root backup. Enure they both complete without errors. Run the file maintenance tasks to clean-up the (old) data. Make another backup and root backup, just in case. If you're paranoid, try restoring from the backups to satisfy yourself.

Make sure that the new server has a static IP address. Get the new server up and running, install the Advantage server followed by Medisoft and service packs, hotfixes, etc., to match exactly the old server version. Allow the relevant programs through the firewall.The new advantage server will not start if it is on the same subnet because there can be only one instance of the advantage server running.

Next, go into your task scheduler on the old server and edit all the scheduled tasks to point to the new server and data locations. Caveat: If the scheduled tasks point to a non-existent directory location, Medisoft won't let you edit the task to fix it!

Shut down the old advantage server, but leave the machine running and connected to the network. Back on the new server, recursively copy the entire data directory to the new location. Share the directory as needed. Start the advantage server. Run the new Medisoft instance, point the program to the new data directory, and login. You should be fully operational. At this point, you can go ahead and update your Medisoft installation to the latest version, if any newer SPs, hotfixes, etc., are available.

There may be an easier way to do this, but the above worked for me. Did I mention that you should have a verified working backup of all your data before you start?

drk

Post by drk » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:00 pm

Or like Gavin said. :-)

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:44 pm

Yes, static ip on the server is required for Medisoft.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386