Support Update: Effects of Transition to 5010 Standards

General information about Medisoft
Gavin Walker

Support Update: Effects of Transition to 5010 Standards

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Dear Customer:
As you are aware, the transition from 4010 to 5010 electronic transaction standards caused a significant spike in support call volumes in January. While we have had our own issues with the transition to 5010, there also are industry-wide issues that have a direct effect on our ability to support you. We are currently working through a significant backlog of cases as a result of the 5010 initiative, and have added staff to address the backlog.

We also see a significant decrease in call volume this month, which we attribute to three factors: edits that clearinghouses are adding to their systems; payers resolving the issues they are experiencing with 5010; and customers submitting claims with correct data (such as the 9-digit ZIP for billing provider and service facility).

Thank you for your patience as the industry transitions to ANSI 5010. We will continue to refine our internal processes to deliver on our commitment to provide the support you expect and deserve.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

Gavin Walker

Re: Support Update: Effects of Transition to 5010 Standards

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:56 pm

RelayHealth also is seeing improvements. A letter from David Mason, Senior Vice President and General Manager of RelayHealth, indicates that:
  • • RelayHealth is successfully processing millions of 5010 transactions daily
    • Payer rejection rates are decreasing
    • Support wait times are trending downward
We are pleased with the progress but know we still have work to do to help make the transition to 5010 as smooth as possible.

Hulty

Post by Hulty » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:20 am

I would just like to add our experience.

We currently use Medisoft v17 and use Capario with Revenue Management. Our current configuration is that our claims are going out in 4010 format and upconverted by Capario to 5010.

We have not experienced any trouble yet, knock wood.

However, had it not been for this board I would not even know that changing from 4010 to 5010 standard was an end user configurable option in Revenue Management.

We will change over to the new RM standard once there are better reliablity reports out in the wild.
Medisoft Advanced V27

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:28 am

I like your conservative approach and it sounds like it has certainly paid off. I recommend sending a small batch of about a dozen claims in ANSI 5010 format just to see if there is anything you need to do on your end to make them go through. 4/1/2012 is when Medicare is supposed to go to 5010 only processing, so I would assume it would be safe to throw the switch after this date.