Intermittent crashes when loading PDF files

Posts related to Medisoft Clinical go here. You should consult with your Medisoft Clinical VAR if you are unsure about any configuration changes suggested here.
drmurphy

Intermittent crashes when loading PDF files

Post by drmurphy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:03 am

I'm wondering if this problem is unique to me or not.
We use Medisoft Clinical locally and via remote desktop connection.
Immediately after signing on we can load a PDF image onto our screen to view a scanned report, whether that be radiology, a lab that was not sent electronically, etc.
Within about 10-15 minutes, when we try to access a PDF image, on the same patient or on another, nothing loads and the system becomes unresponsive. We have to then the whole right click, close the program, then restart it again.
Even in situations when we do not immediately load a PDF, as in when we first sign in, and wait about 10-15 minutes prior to trying to access a PDF, the system will hang.
This happens locally on our network as well as when we sign in to the server directly from our second office, via remote desktop connection.
This happens locally on Windows 7 machines (we still have two of them) and from Windows 10 machines.
The server is windows 10.

We have a situation where my IT guys say that its not the network since on the server directly, and throughout the office, when not using the EMR, we can access PDF files without a problem. It is ONLY while in clinical where we get this problem.

?????
CW Murphy, MD
Ob-Gyn

Gavin Walker

Re: Intermittent crashes when loading PDF files

Post by Gavin Walker » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:33 am

Are your computers on a domain? We don't recommend Windows 10 to be a data host for Medisoft EHR (Clinical). Also, for whatever reason, Clinical does not handle PDFs very well. If you can switch your attached documents to TIFF format as much as possible, then Clinical will be much happier.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

drmurphy

Post by drmurphy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:22 am

I always thought that TIFF was a much larger format. From what I'm reading, a 5mb file is the import limit, but even with a 3mb file people sometimes have trouble getting files imported.
Has this been your experience?
And this uses wordpad, correct?
CW Murphy, MD
Ob-Gyn

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 am

TIFF or PDF, should be about the same size depending on your scanner. Try setting the DPI on your scanner down to 300 and see if the scans are still acceptable. The import limit should be more like about 512mb.

drmurphy

Post by drmurphy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:13 pm

We are not having the problem on workstations that have Foxit Reader installed as the PDF Reader. The problems were with the workstations that had Adobe installed as thereader. It seems that even when the enhanced security settings are turned OFF, as recommended, Adobe has prompts in the background, periodically, that cause the system to freeze. So far, in our testing, Foxit Reader has not given us a problem. We may think towards using Foxit Reader for all workstations.
Any problems with Foxit Reader that anyone is aware of?
CW Murphy, MD
Ob-Gyn

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:34 am

I've installed Foxit a few times and that works fine. If you leave it with nothing installed, then Windows 10 defaults to Edge browser to view PDFs. You will definitely have problems with Edge as Edge requires User Account Control (UAC) turned on and Clinical requires UAC to be turned off.