Secondary Aging

Enter your billing questions or comments here.
missmissy67

Secondary Aging

Post by missmissy67 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:52 am

Hi,
I have a question in reference to my Secondary Aging Reports. I have some patients that have Medicare Primary once Medicare pays they automatically cross over to the secondary insurance but for some reason they aren't always showing up on my secondary aging report. What am I doing wrong? I thought once the Medicare payment was posted and it was marked complete that it would automatically be on the secondary report but they aren't HELP.....

Thanks
Michelle

Gavin Walker

Re: Secondary Aging

Post by Gavin Walker » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Here are some reasons why items don't show on the secondary insurance aging report:

1. The secondary insurance billing date on the claim occurs after the aging date you selected on the report or it is blank.
2. Secondary insurance responsibility is marked False on the transaction.
3. Secondary insurance paid is marked True on the transaction.
4. Patient Reference Balance is between -$0.01 and $0.01.
Gavin Walker
Walker Tek Solutions, LLC
417-890-6777 x0
fax: 417-763-6386

missmissy67

Post by missmissy67 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:05 am

Hi Gavin,
I guess I am a little confused. :|
How can the secondary responsibility be marked false on the transaction where do you do that at?
Also Secondary Insurance Paid is marked true not sure how that is done either?
The balance is Much higher that -$.01 to $.01

Whenever I run my reports I don't put dates in them as I run them wide open to capture all that is out there.
I am just nervous finding this to think there are more out there that I have not caught.

Thanks
Michelle

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:37 am

This can happen many ways, but the most typical answer to this is the secondary insurance was added AFTER the charge was entered. When this happens, you need to be sure you click Update All in Transaction Entry.

missmissy67

Post by missmissy67 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:26 am

Gavin,
I did go into the patients account and I did an update all and looked on my secondary aging. That didn't seem to work I guess i have to do that when the changes are made so I will remember that for the future. I actually printed the secondary claim and then it appeared on the secondary aging.
Is there any kind of file maintenance or anything that I can run to make sure that I don't miss any claims on the Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary reports in the future? When they are Medicare Primary and Medicare pays and they crossover I do nothing from there I don't know if this is correct should I be doing something else in the computer? If for some reason the secondary doesn't pay I need to make sure they move onto the secondary aging so I can monitor them.
I am wondering if there is a report out there that will tell me all of the balances that I have Primary, Secondary, Tertiary?
Thank you so much for you help.

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Was Crossover Claim selected on the secondary payer tab on the case? If not, check it and click Update All again.

You will want to run the regular Patient Aging Report as well.

missmissy67

Post by missmissy67 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:23 am

Hi Gavin,
I entered some new charges. Medicare is prim and they have a secondary of Bc/Bs and Aetna I checked the crossover box for the secondary insurance as both will crossover. Is this common for them to now show up on the secondary Aging before the primary has even paid? They are showing up on both agings the primary insurance and the secondary insurance. I just want to make sure this is correct.

Thanks
Michelle

Gavin Walker

Post by Gavin Walker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:11 pm

That is the way the report behaves if Crossover is checked. As far as you are concerned you submitted the claim to the secondary insurance on the day you submitted the primary insurance claim. Technically, the secondary claim is crossed over by the primary insurance when they pay the primary claim, but there is no way to notify Medisoft of that so it ages by the primary claim date.

missmissy67

Post by missmissy67 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks that makes sense......
Thanks for all your help....
Michelle